Waiting on Wednesday (7)

Between shades of Gray
by Ruta Sepetys

Pages: 352
Release Date: 7th march 2011
Publisher: Puffin
Buy the Book: Amazon



Lina is just like any other fifteen-year-old Lithuanian girl in 1941. She paints, she draws, she gets crushes on boys. Until one night when the Soviet officers barge into her home, tearing her family from the comfortable life they've known. Separated from her father, forced onto a crowded and dirty train car, Lina, her mother, and her young broteher slowly make their way north, crossing the Artic circle, to a work camp in the coldest reaches of Siberia. Here they're forced, under Stalin's orders, to dig for beets and fight for their lives under the cruelest conditions.
Lina finds solace in her art, meticulously - and at great risk - documenting events by drawing, hoping these messages will make their way to her father's prison camp to let him know they are still alive. It is a long and harrowing jorney, spanning years and covering 6,500 miles, but it is through incredible strength, love and hope that Lina ultimately survives. Between Shades of Grey is a novel that will steal your breath and capture your heart.


I really enjoy histoical fiction, and I never read anything about the Lithuaninan genocide. The synopsis really hooked me.

What are you waiting for?
Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted at Breaking the Spine.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great pick -- I love historical fiction, and this sounds like it may have the emotional impact of The Book Thief, which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one too !! I've heard it was pretty moving .. and the cover is beautiful !! Great pick ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hooked too. Historical fiction can sometimes be a rare gem in the book world, and other times it sucks. But this one sounds incredibly heartwrenching. Just added it to my goodreads, thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds very emotionally intense, but also really educational about a historical event that isn't that well known. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a long time since a book has touched me as much as this one has. I stayed up late to finish it and even though I was so tired I could not fall asleep for awhile because I could not stop thinking about the story. The story was haunting and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them all :)

Please do not leave any personal information, such as your email address as they will be deleted immediately.

Happy Reading!